Kimberly Dickstein teaches English at Haddonfield Memorial High School, Haddonfield, NJ
The Merchant of Venice, 4.1
What's On for Today and Why
i) students will role play a minor character reflecting on the trial
ii ) an outer circle of students will discuss their response to the inner circle through www.todaysmeet.com. This is a live chatroom that functions like a twitter feed.They will switch roles half way through.
This lesson will take 2 x 40 minute class periods.
What You Need
Internet access and computers
Socratic Seminar Role Play prep sheets
Student self-evaluation sheet
Preparation worksheet 1
Preparation worksheet 2
What To Do
Day 1-Explanantion, Guidelines, and Preparation worksheets
1. Set up the todaysmeet room on the day of the seminar. Model how to use the todaysmeet website the day before.
2. Distribute the seminar worksheets for all students to complete prior to the seminars so that students have evidence to support their character's beliefs.
3. Explain that Socratic seminars are collaborative dialogues that encourage student-guided open-ended discussion.
4. Divide the students equally into 2 groups-the inner and the outer circle.
4. Establish these rules/guidelines:
i) Only students in the inner circle can speak.
ii) Students in the outer circle actively listen to the discussion in order to contribute using www.todaysmeet.com as their assigned character. Students can access this from smartphones/laptops.
iii) Discussion should be limited to comments regarding the process of the trial, not the outcome.
iv) Students will switch circles half way through.
v) Encourage students to: stay in character, listen actively, search for evidence in the text, avoid debate, be respectful, address comments to the group, don't raise hands, and monitor speaking time.
5. Assign each student a minor character that has an investment or connection to the scene and its stakeholders.
Minor characters for this activity include: Jessica, Lorenzo, Duke, Salerio, Salarino, Solanio, Gratiano, Nerissa, Tubal, Lancelot Gobbo.(ie NOT Shylock, Portia, Antonio or Bassanio)
Giving students name cards will encourage them to speak in the first person.
6. Have students prepare and record responses on the worksheet.
Day 2: Socratic Seminars
1. Review the rules/guidelines established the previous day.
2. The inner circle will be facing each other and discussing the scene while the outer circle is chatting using todaysmeet. Members of the outer circle should respond to what the inner circle characters are saying. Avoid having the same characters in the same group.
3. Avoid teacher participation, but facilitate the discussion by asking questions to guide the seminar e.g Is the trial fair?
4. Allow 15 minutes for the first round.
5. Have students switch from the inner to the outer circle and visa versa.
6. Allow students to either pick up the discussion where it left off online or in class, or they may begin again using the questions generated on the worksheet.
7. For homework, have students evaluate their performance by completing the self evaluation worksheet.
How Did It Go?
Were students able to vocalize the opinions of a character's point of view?
Were students able to use Shakespeare's language to support their point of view?
Were students able to evaluate the relationships that Antonio and Shylock have with differnt characters?
Frankenstein-have students meet in the round after reading Chapters 1-5 about Victor's education and then after Chapters 10-16 about the monster's education. Guiding open-ended question: Who is responsible for making a man?
Macbeth-have students meet before the deed and after. Guided open-ended quesions could focus on ambition, power, gender, etc.
If you used this lesson, we would like to hear how it went and about any adaptations you made to suit the needs of YOUR students.
I have visited to this site multiple times and everytime I find beneficial jobs for me so I would suggest please come to this site and take the chance from here. Urgent Care Ohio
jak January 28, 2015 2:00 PM
That's what makes you the best. You should keep publishing more articles and you will Such Become One of the best writers ever Natural skincare for men
jak January 28, 2015 12:14 PM
lowes coupons This short article is perfect! If just one had been to purchase an argument on the authentication of this post, I believe that you would have to throw of your energy b
jack January 28, 2015 11:03 AM
Model escort bangalore I actually found it all to be quite fascinating because I think so many of us get so dialed in and so laser focused on just losing pounds that we forget there is much more than that to actually getting
jack January 26, 2015 10:10 AM
seo company Great post i must say and thanks for the information. Education is definitely a sticky subject. However, is still among the leading topics of our time. I appreciate your post and look forward to more
jack January 26, 2015 6:43 AM
NJ Prom Limousines I need to acknowledge that this is the majority of finest content of which I've actually examined. Indeed, it really is. The audience are merely completely astonished by this post. I want to see far more information p
jack January 25, 2015 2:19 PM
Great post full of useful tips! masini de tuns iarba electrice
seo January 25, 2015 11:54 AM
Carpet Cleaning Service Champaign IL place to go whenever your instrument needs tuning. Our sound effects are beautiful and accurate, and our guitar tuner interface is simple to use and second to none..
jack January 21, 2015 2:21 AM
Great info Happy Valentines day 2015 | Happy Valentines day quotes | valentines day whatsapp status
Prakash January 17, 2015 2:07 AM
Nice for sharing about: "In the round": Shakespeare Socratic Seminar.
Guest House Jogja | pesawat Tiket
Arduan January 16, 2015 1:06 AM