Lucretia M. Anderson
Elementary School Program Coordinator
Folger Shakespeare Library
A Midsummer Night's Dream, 2.2
Common Core Standards addressed:
Reading Standards for Literature
Integration of Knowledge and Ideas: 7 and 9
Speaking and Listening
Presentation of Knowledge and Ideas: 4 and 5
Reading Standards for Literature
Craft and Structure: 5
Integration of Knowledge and Ideas:7 and 9
Key Ideas and Details: 3
Knowledge of Language: 6
See link to Common Core Standards below
What's On for Today and Why
Based on the language and environment created with words in song and rhyme, students will determine the type of mood that is being set within scenes from Macbeth and A Midsummer Night's Dream. Students will collaborate to give a choral performance enhanced with a soundscape. Students will then compare and contrast the mood created by the songs and sounds. They will analyze the song/rhyme's purpose in enhancing the scene and the play.
This lesson should take one class session.
What You Need
Folger edition of A Midsummer Night's Dream and Macbeth
Available in Folger print edition and Folger Digital Texts
Macbeth, 4.1 handout
A Midsummer Night's Dream, 2.2 handout
Found objects to make sound effects (ex. paper, rattle, metal trashcan, cardboard box,etc.)
Common Core Standards
What To Do
- Distribute copies of the edited Macbeth 4.1 and Midsummer 2.2 and conduct a read through with students.
- Discuss similarities and differences in rhythm and word choice of the songs/rhymes. Have students circle or list similarities and differences. Have students list adjectives to describe the moods of each song/rhyme.
- Divide the students into four groups.
- Have Group 1 work together to rehearse a choral reading of Macbeth 4.1. Students should divide up the lines and may turn it into a song or chant with movement.
- Make Group 2 responsible for creating the soundscape for the Macbeth choral reading using their voices or physical objects that could make the appropriate sounds. Students should mark places in the script where sound is interjected.
- Give Group 3 the Midsummer 2.2 song to rehearse in the same manner.
- Give Group 4 the responsibility of creating the soundscape for the Midsummer song.
- Allow each group to work separately for several minutes.
- Combine Group 1 with Group 2, Group 3 with Group 4 to rehearse the timing of the background soundscape with the choral reading of the song or rhyme.
- Have groups 1 and 3 give their presentations without the soundscape. Then have them perform with their rehearsed soundscape.
- Review the list of adjectives. Discuss whether the sound effects related to the adjectives listed and were effective in conveying the mood of the song, rhyme and scene.
How Did It Go?
Could the students identify the purpose of placing the song/rhyme in the beginning of each scene? Did the students understand the role of the sound effects in enhancing the mood of the song/rhyme? Did the students demonstrate understanding of how the song/rhyme contributed to the development of the theme or plot of the play? If this is done as a pre-reading activity, were the students able to identify the differences and the similarities in the genre of the plays?
If you used this lesson, we would like to hear how it went and about any adaptations you made to suit the needs of YOUR students.
Effectively, the article is really the best theme on this registry related issue. I fit in with your decisions and will excitedly anticipate your next overhauls.
storage in San Jose CA
ahmed November 27, 2014 8:30 AM
I cherish the online journal. Extraordinary post. It is genuine, individuals must figure out how to learn before they can learn. lol i know it sounds entertaining however it genuine. . .
How to use a french press
ahmed November 27, 2014 8:09 AM
Always so interesting to visit your site.What a great info, thank you for sharing. this will help me so much in my learning...
Insider John Binary App 810
ahmed November 27, 2014 5:54 AM
wow this good but ,I like your post and good pics may be any peoples not like because defrent mind all poeple ,
ahmed November 26, 2014 10:47 PM
Fort Meyers Real Estate
Really great post, Thank you for sharing This knowledge.Excellently written article, if only all bloggers offered the same level of content as you, the internet would be a much better place. Please keep it up!
ahmed November 25, 2014 8:15 AM
You have made an extraordinary showing. I will most likely burrow it and generally suggest to my companions. I am sure they will be profited from this site.
ahmed November 24, 2014 11:03 PM
I read this article. I think You put a lot of effort to create this article. I appreciate your work.
e-liquid uk suppliers
ahmed November 24, 2014 9:16 AM
Morocco shared tours
I am always searching online for articles that can help me. There is obviously a lot to know about this. I think you made some good points in Features also. Keep working, great job!
ahmed November 23, 2014 11:18 PM
stunning, incredible, I was wondering how to cure skin inflammation regularly. furthermore discovered your site by google, took in a ton, now i'm a bit clear. I've bookmark your site furthermore include rss. keep us overhauled...
ahmed November 23, 2014 8:17 PM
Effortlessly, the article is really the best point on this registry related issue. I fit in with your decisions and will energetically anticipate your next overhauls.
ahmed November 23, 2014 4:21 AM