Henry Fuseli. Macbeth consulting the vision of the armed head. Oil on canvas, 1793.
Matt Patterson teaches English at Bishop Seabury Academy in Lawrence, Kansas.
Macbeth 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.6, 2.3, 3.1, 3.4,
What's On for Today and Why
In this lesson students will examine the role of paradox and equivocation in the Scottish play. The goal is for students to gain a greater appreciation of how Shakespeare— and his characters— manipulates words to give them multiple, complex meanings beyond the expected. Students will discover how language drives the events in the play and what it tells us about the characters in it.
The lesson will take one class period. Alternately, it can be split into two partial lessons— one on paradox after students read Act 1, and the other on equivocation after students read Act 3.
What You Need
Folger edition of Macbeth
Available in Folger print edition and Folger Digital Texts
Handout on paradox and equivocation
What To Do
1. Distribute handouts on paradox and equivocation and read the definitions.
2. Divide the class into small groups of students (2 or 3 to a group).
3. Assign each group a numbered quotation from the handout (If you split this assignment into two lessons, you might assign the same quotation to multiple groups).
4. Assign each group to complete, in writing, items A, B, and C listed on the handout for their assigned quotation. Students will need to refer to the text to describe the context of their assigned lines.
5. Have each group report their discoveries to the rest of the class. Discuss how paradox and equivocation contribute to the themes of the play and what they tell us about the characters that use them in their speech.
6. Have students look at the equivocations in 4.1.91-92, Second Apparition, and 4.1.105-107, Third Apparition, and ask them to track the course of these equivocations as they continue to read the play. If you prefer to maintain a greater sense of mystery, tell students that there are two equivocations in Act 4 and ask them to identify them as they continue to read.
7. If time allows, assign each student a character from the play and ask him/her to write a paradox or equivocation from that character's perspective. Ask students to share their lines aloud with the rest of the class or post them on the walls of the classroom.
How Did It Go?
Did students gain a better appreciation for double meanings in Shakespeare's language? Were they able to relate paradox and equivocation to characterization of the speakers and to broader themes from the play? Did their original lines demonstrate an understanding of the ability of words to hold multiple meanings?
If you used this lesson, we would like to hear how it went and about any adaptations you made to suit the needs of YOUR students.
According to the collective, the police force of the city has shown tolerance for municipal employees on the evening of mayhem on 18 August in the town hall. psn codes
Roger November 25, 2014 1:43 AM
Website yang bagus, Obat Demam Berdarah Herbal
Obat Penyakit Asam Urat
firmansyah November 25, 2014 1:33 AM
Sangat Informatif sekali beritanya, terima kasih, Obat Tipes Tradisional
firmansyah November 24, 2014 9:37 PM
Sangat berkualitas tampilan websitenya, Ulasannya juga sangat informatif, Obat Asam Lambung Tradisional
firmansyah November 24, 2014 9:31 PM
It is something a very crucial issue and something very hard to say a word on it. acemaxs 1obatkista.wordpress.com slimming capsule
satu November 21, 2014 1:37 AM
A mother never asked you to put the world in his hands, but the smooth-spoken, mild-mannered temperament, responsible behavior of a child that is happiness for a mother. obat kutil kelamin pria | obat kutil kelamin wanita
infosehat November 14, 2014 2:40 AM
The lesson will take one class period. Alternately, it can be split into two partial lessons— gamezhacktool.com
fitri November 11, 2014 7:49 PM
thank you of some of the articles I find this is one of the very interesting article to read, I like this alat bantu sex pria possible for people not important but very useful for us to read read more
nelsa November 11, 2014 3:48 AM
Nice information, valuable and excellent design, as share good stuff with good ideas festa peppa pig
Sheila October 13, 2014 5:52 PM
Tahukah artinya Minuman Kesehatan obat herbal amazon plus? amazon Plus adalah obat herbal yang memiliki komposisi zat alami.
Derry September 16, 2014 9:07 AM
Common Core State Standards
There are no standards associated with this Lesson Plan.
Note to Mozilla Firefox Users:
If the PDF documents are freezing, please try the following fix:
Go to Tools. Under Options click the Applications icon. Under Content Type, find Adobe Acrobat Document. Select Use Adobe Reader. If the option already says Use Adobe Reader, try changing the option to Use Adobe Acrobat.