Jack Bathke, Princeton High School, Princeton, NJ.
This pre-reading activity for Othello incorporates Shakespeare's sonnets 40, 57, 61, and 87.
What's On for Today and Why
Students sometimes have a difficult time understanding the difference between Othello's jealousy and his passion. As a pre-reading activity, students will examine these ideas by creating tableaux ("living pictures") to examine the difference between the two as presented in four of Shakespeare's sonnets.
This lesson will take one class period.
What You Need
Folger edition of Othello
Available in Folger print edition and Folger Digital Texts
Copies of sonnets 40, 57, 61, and 87
What To Do
1. Divide the class into four groups, and assign each group one of the four sonnets: 40, 57, 61, and 87. Ask the students looking at sonnets 40 and 87 to focus closely on the role of passion in the sonnet, while the students looking at sonnets 57 and 61 should examine the role of jealousy.
2. Have each group read their sonnet aloud, round-robin style, changing speakers at every line break. As they read, students should point out any words that are unclear to them; as a group, they should then figure out what the sonnet is attempting to say about either passion or jealousy.
3. Ask the students to present their sonnets as a series of tableaux vivants: these are frozen images in which the students use their bodies to wordlessly act out the imagery of the sonnet while one or more group members read the sonnet. Students should be sure to choose images that reflect the sonnet's attitude toward passion or jealousy.
4. Give the students a few minutes to rehearse their tableaux, then perform them for the whole group. Stop after each performance to discuss the sonnet with the whole class: what do the lines reveal about passion or jealousy? How are the two ideas related to each other?
5. After the class has read 3.3 of Othello, return to this discussion again. What were their conclusions about the relationship between passion and jealousy? Do they see a similar conclusion reflected in the play?
6. For an optional extension activity, have the class prepare a group reading of the sonnets in which the groups presenting the sonnets dealing with jealousy will use their text to respond to the sonnets dealing with passion.
How Did It Go?
Did the students pinpoint key lines from the sonnets that clearly illustrated passion or jealousy? Were the tableaux interesting, helpful, and organized? Did the tableaux facilitate an effective discussion about the difference between passion and jealousy?
If you used this lesson, we would like to hear how it went and about any adaptations you made to suit the needs of YOUR students.
Took me tour to show many the observations, however I truly liked the piece. It proved to be Truly useful to me moreover I am ineluctable to total the commenter here! It’s always comely during you can nay sole be educated, however yet entertained
david January 25, 2015 5:25 AM
amino acid vitamins
First You got a great blog .I will be interested in more similar topics. i see you got really very useful topics , i will be always checking your blog thanks.
david January 24, 2015 12:40 PM
Your dog will begin to recognize there is a routine if you regularly remove the food bowl 10 or 15 minutes after you put it down. Click Here
Henry January 23, 2015 7:04 AM
One very important tip for living healthy is to get an adequate amount of exercise. Follow This Link
Henry January 23, 2015 6:59 AM
When you feel stressed, engage in an activity instead of relying on food as a source of comfort. Follow This Link
Henry January 23, 2015 6:57 AM
Write down exactly what steps you are going to take to achieve your weight loss Website.
Henry January 23, 2015 6:53 AM
Are you searching for tips on going to college? College is where you can discover what you hope to spend your life. You will get the most from college if you are prepared beforehand. does pull your ex back work
Henry January 20, 2015 12:27 PM
The following article has some helpful tips that follow are stepping stones on the path to beauty expertise. what does the book boost your bust say
Henry January 20, 2015 4:16 AM
You can be healthier if you eat more small meals rather than three large ones.This will keep your metabolism high and stable throughout the whole day. buy the renegade diet book
Henry January 19, 2015 7:07 AM
This is also a wonderful way for you make new people. how to take garcinia cambogia select
Henry January 16, 2015 8:35 AM