The Merchant of Venice
Heidi Beehler, Horace Greeley High School, Chappaqua, New York.
The Merchant of Venice
What's On for Today and Why
One of the reasons The Merchant of Venice is so interesting—and so troublesome—is that characters in Venice cannot define human values such as justice, mercy, and love in anything other than economic terms. The language of the Venetian characters is fraught with terms of economic rather than romantic exchange.
This activity emphasizes finding the multiplicity of meanings buried within Shakespeare's language. Students will examine how the meanings of words differ in Belmont and in Venice.
This lesson will take two to three class periods.
What You Need
Folger edition of The Merchant of Venice
Available in Folger print edition and Folger Digital Texts
Can't Buy Me Love Handout
What To Do
1. Divide students into groups of three or four. Assign four words from the following list to each group: fortune, value, interest, worth, engaged, bond, dear, gold(en), good(s), hazard. Give each student the attached handout, and have them copy their assigned words onto the chart.
2. In their groups, have students search for their assigned words using an online Shakespeare concordance. What different meanings do these words have in different contexts throughout the play? Do they have different meanings in Belmont and in Venice? Have them fill in the Belmontian and Venetian meanings of the words in the chart. They may use a dictionary to help them.
3. Next, have each group choose one of their four words and a scene in which it appears. Have them discuss the following questions as a group. Each group should choose a scribe who will write down the answers.
Where does this scene take place?
Which characters are speaking? Where are they from?
To whom are they speaking?
How do the other characters understand what the speakers are saying? Are characters from different places able to understand one another?
Then, have students repeat this activity with one more of their words.
4. Have each group present their findings to the class. Conclude with a discussion about how language is used differently by characters in different places. Does this change the students' view of the play in any way?
5. As a concluding activity, have students act out their scenes.
How Did It Go?
Were students able to develop multiple definitions of the terms? Did students choose passages appropriate to the task at hand? Were they able to apply what they learned about the tension between the definitions of the words in Venice and Belmont to their passage? Was their understanding of the performed text enriched by their research?
If you used this lesson, we would like to hear how it went and about any adaptations you made to suit the needs of YOUR students.
The information you have posted is very useful http://apkmoddata.com/re-volt-2-multiplayer-mod-apk/
fitri November 26, 2014 1:40 AM
I've got some good topics, Obat Herbal Jantung Koroner
muara November 16, 2014 9:53 PM
Thank you for this inspiring article, Going The Distance to the CFA is very good to read. Now I've got some good topics, Obat Herbal Jantung Koro
muara November 16, 2014 9:51 PM
temple run 2 hack
fitri November 16, 2014 8:01 AM
As bad my condition, I sejatuh-fall, tired-tired of my life, at least I still have him, where I lean back and complain. Wish path always gets his rays. obat kutil kelamin | obat kutil kelamin apotik
infosehat November 14, 2014 8:51 AM
The happiest people do not necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes along the way.
obat kutil kelamin de nature | obat kutil kelamin murah
infosehat November 14, 2014 2:39 AM
That is my first time visit here. From the comments on your articles get candy crush saga here http://www.gamezhacktool.com/2014/10/candy-crush-saga-hack-unlimited-live.html
fitri November 11, 2014 7:55 PM
This was the best website with lot useful information for the reader. Thanks for shring the post and keep the good works. You are the best, god bless you. Read our traveling blog :
Best Bali Tour, Amazing Bali Driver, Bali Day Tour, Bali Tour Driver, Bali Tour, Bali Day Tours, Bali Tours Driver
Wayan November 10, 2014 4:58 PM
Amazing article. I am so impressed. Could never think of such a thing is possible with it. festa princesa sofia
Sheila October 13, 2014 6:26 PM
Pontoon Boat Seats
Black Rockport Boots
Traci October 7, 2014 4:58 AM
Common Core State Standards
There are no standards associated with this Lesson Plan.
Note to Mozilla Firefox Users:
If the PDF documents are freezing, please try the following fix:
Go to Tools. Under Options click the Applications icon. Under Content Type, find Adobe Acrobat Document. Select Use Adobe Reader. If the option already says Use Adobe Reader, try changing the option to Use Adobe Acrobat.