Newes from sea, of two notorious pyrats Ward the Englishman, and Danseker the Dutchman. London, 1609 (Detail)
Gregory Taylor, Hillside Junior High School, Boise, Idaho.
This lesson may be used before reading any Shakespeare play or sonnet.
What's On for Today and Why
Students will learn the basics of iambic pentameter by studying the rhythm of blank verse orally, aurally, visually, and kinesthetically.
This lesson will take one class period.
What You Need
What To Do
1. Using the attached document as an overhead template, review the idea of meter. Be sure to explain the idea of "feet", the smallest repeating ryhthmic units (in Shakespeare's case, the iamb is the metrical foot.) Also teach the word "iamb", a foot of two syllables with an unstressed syllable followed by a stressed syllable.
2. Introduce the term "iambic pentameter". Have the students puzzle out the meaning through morphological analysis of the component parts "meter", "iambic" and "penta" - a five foot metrical line of weak followed by strong syllables.
3. Have students repeat a line of five "I am"'s with the emphasis on the "am" syllable. Explain that this is one way to remember the iambic rhythm. Practice saying some sentences that begin with "I AM" in a weak-STRONG pattern: "I AM a great student; I AM going to be nice to my little brother."
4. To really feel the iambic rhythm, get students up on their feet and say the next line, "I am a pirate with a wooden leg," dragging their wooden legs on the unstressed syllables and stepping strongly on the stressed syllables. Have students draw parentheses around the iambs and note that some divide in the middle of words: meter is about sound, not spelling.
5. Have students read some lines from the play you will be reading.
6. Finally, have students write their own iambic pentameter lines in pairs, as a conversation. Use the last two sentences on the handout as an example. After a few minutes, have some of the pairs perform their conversations. Be sure they understand how the meter works in this blank verse.
How Did It Go?
Can students explain and demonstrate iambic pentameter? Can they write proper lines of blank verse? Can they begin to see and understand some of the uses of meter in Shakespeare's writing?
If you used this lesson, we would like to hear how it went and about any adaptations you made to suit the needs of YOUR students.
Despicable Me: Minion Rush a dévoilé une nouvelle Minion Lifeguard, les joueurs aident leurs capacités de collecte de bananes devraient augmenter de 200 pour cent.
clash of clans hack
Fdadhas November 27, 2014 6:57 AM
There is a chance that you will be scammed in the most awkward ways from an online writing service that you were referred to. Make sure to trust only the best.essay writing service australia
shirley November 27, 2014 3:12 AM
The information you have posted is very useful http://apkmoddata.com/batman-arkham-origins-mod-apk/
fitri November 26, 2014 1:37 AM
The concept of the post is unique. Word stuffing and sentence framed are nice.
Pretty adequate post.
Best MCX Tips
anshi November 25, 2014 7:04 AM
Junta chief Prayuth Chan-ocha had himself elected by a carefully compiled assembly to the Prime Minister in August.
fADHASF November 24, 2014 9:00 AM
Very impressive information thankyou for the posting and in future you write more this type of knowledge. tag heuer replica
klaos November 24, 2014 2:07 AM
Open Clash Of Clans
Connect using settings with Google+ or Game Center
clash of clans hack
Fewser November 21, 2014 3:15 AM
Very impressive information thankyou for the posting and in future you write more this type of knowledge. ON Whey Gold 2lb Price in Karachi
Iram November 20, 2014 4:43 AM
Very impressive information thankyou for the posting and in future you write more this type of knowledge.
ON Whey 2lb Price in Karachi
Iram November 20, 2014 4:41 AM
Excellent information on your blog, thank you for taking the time to share with us you can also visit me to Custom Essay writing. Amazing insight you have on this, it's nice to find a website that details so much information about different artists. nathan November 17, 2014 1:02 PM
Common Core State Standards
There are no standards associated with this Lesson Plan.
Note to Mozilla Firefox Users:
If the PDF documents are freezing, please try the following fix:
Go to Tools. Under Options click the Applications icon. Under Content Type, find Adobe Acrobat Document. Select Use Adobe Reader. If the option already says Use Adobe Reader, try changing the option to Use Adobe Acrobat.