Newes from sea, of two notorious pyrats Ward the Englishman, and Danseker the Dutchman. London, 1609 (Detail)
Gregory Taylor, Hillside Junior High School, Boise, Idaho.
This lesson may be used before reading any Shakespeare play or sonnet.
What's On for Today and Why
Students will learn the basics of iambic pentameter by studying the rhythm of blank verse orally, aurally, visually, and kinesthetically.
This lesson will take one class period.
What You Need
What To Do
1. Using the attached document as an overhead template, review the idea of meter. Be sure to explain the idea of "feet", the smallest repeating ryhthmic units (in Shakespeare's case, the iamb is the metrical foot.) Also teach the word "iamb", a foot of two syllables with an unstressed syllable followed by a stressed syllable.
2. Introduce the term "iambic pentameter". Have the students puzzle out the meaning through morphological analysis of the component parts "meter", "iambic" and "penta" - a five foot metrical line of weak followed by strong syllables.
3. Have students repeat a line of five "I am"'s with the emphasis on the "am" syllable. Explain that this is one way to remember the iambic rhythm. Practice saying some sentences that begin with "I AM" in a weak-STRONG pattern: "I AM a great student; I AM going to be nice to my little brother."
4. To really feel the iambic rhythm, get students up on their feet and say the next line, "I am a pirate with a wooden leg," dragging their wooden legs on the unstressed syllables and stepping strongly on the stressed syllables. Have students draw parentheses around the iambs and note that some divide in the middle of words: meter is about sound, not spelling.
5. Have students read some lines from the play you will be reading.
6. Finally, have students write their own iambic pentameter lines in pairs, as a conversation. Use the last two sentences on the handout as an example. After a few minutes, have some of the pairs perform their conversations. Be sure they understand how the meter works in this blank verse.
How Did It Go?
Can students explain and demonstrate iambic pentameter? Can they write proper lines of blank verse? Can they begin to see and understand some of the uses of meter in Shakespeare's writing?
If you used this lesson, we would like to hear how it went and about any adaptations you made to suit the needs of YOUR students.
How to get free paysafecard generator
Should you get an orange glowing reference, then another check mark in "I
Paysafecard money hack
Xcadbsf January 29, 2015 4:42 AM
www.scorespro.com Olympic Snowboarding 2008 finds the country in a good mammoth find it difficult to thwart any emerging dominance of The japanese and Cuba meant for baseball supremacy everywhere. The XXIXth Olympiad within the Modern Era withi
bundes January 22, 2015 7:04 AM
I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
Zynga poker hack
japan January 21, 2015 11:26 AM
I agree with your opinion about it .. I also think the same as you. Maybe this way will all be better ..
Obat herbal jantung
Obat herbal stroke
azi January 20, 2015 9:36 PM
PRX.im is a free web proxy that allows you to access certain websites that have been blocked for you due to restrictions by your internet connection, work, school or government.unblock youtube hd
peter January 20, 2015 6:38 AM
Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work.
japan January 15, 2015 5:37 AM
The eastern countries are known for quality of education they can give to their students as...Free PDF Files Blog
peter January 15, 2015 4:24 AM
Common Core State Standards
There are no standards associated with this Lesson Plan.
Note to Mozilla Firefox Users:
If the PDF documents are freezing, please try the following fix:
Go to Tools. Under Options click the Applications icon. Under Content Type, find Adobe Acrobat Document. Select Use Adobe Reader. If the option already says Use Adobe Reader, try changing the option to Use Adobe Acrobat.