Leigh Lemons teaches English at Marblehead High School, Marblehead, Massachusetts.
Twelfth Night, or any of Shakespeare's plays.
What's On for Today and Why
In this lesson students will interpret Twelfth Night or another play by creating a silent movie, requiring them to think creatively and enhance their storytelling skills in verbal, nonverbal and written form.
This lesson will take approximately three class periods.
What You Need
Folger edition of Twelfth Night
Available in Folger print edition and Folger Digital Texts
Video camera or still camera and scanner
Computer lab access
Technician or support teacher if necessary
What To Do
1. Divide the class into five groups and assign each group one act of the play.
2. Tell students it is their task to create a silent movie of different tableaux to represent the most important developments in their act of the play. The movie must have 5-10 "slides," frozen images that represent individual moments in the text. Each group member must participate.
3. Emphasize the importance of heightened nonverbal communication. Discuss facial expressions, gestures, stance, interaction and pose.
4. Have students begin by brainstorming ideas for the most important moments in the text, then choose a selective group of those moments for their movie.
5. Next, students should explore ways to represent each moment. Encourage them to experiment with different ideas before settling on one.
6. Allow students time to rehearse their tableaux.
7. Showtime: if your school has a video camera, record the performances. If you have access to a scanner, you could photograph the slides and scan them as well.
8. Using PowerPoint or other presentation software, have students add narration to the slides they have created. Finally, have students complete their movies with slides that introduce their work and its cast.
9. Present the completed movie to the class and print a hard copy for public display. Conclude by discussing the differences in the choices made by the different groups, and the lessons students learned in the creation process.
How Did It Go?
Did your students come to understand the most critical components of each act? Did they read the text closely and discuss it thoroughly? Did they learn any new technology? Did they learn kinesthetically? Did they work collaboratively? Did they respond positively?
If you used this lesson, we would like to hear how it went and about any adaptations you made to suit the needs of YOUR students.
Many thanks a lot. You really a wonderful write-up that you posted. Content that you’re undertaking like wonderful share for people like us, visitors, made the day.
Happy Valentine Day 2015
Roy January 20, 2015 1:26 PM
parvindher January 9, 2015 1:07 PM
THANKS FOR SHARING NICE POST Valentines day wallpaper and images
john January 6, 2015 1:28 AM
New Year Messages For Brother
New Year Messages For Whatsapp
pappu December 26, 2014 3:57 PM
New Year Wishes For Daughter
New Year Poems
pappu December 26, 2014 3:56 PM
Advance Happy New Year Wishes
New Year 2015 Shayari For Girlfriend
pappu December 26, 2014 3:55 PM
Happy New Year Jokes
Happy New Year Status
pappu December 26, 2014 3:54 PM
thanks for your article. Dofollow Directory Submission Sites
James December 25, 2014 4:10 AM
wow cool info
whatsapp for pc free download
whatsapp free download pc
sam December 24, 2014 12:28 AM
r u kiddin this info for fre
download whatsapp for laptop
Happy New Year 2015 Wallpapers
sam December 24, 2014 12:28 AM