Shakespeare. King Lear. London, 1608
Andrea Alsup, Hanover High School in Hanover, NH.
King Lear 5.3.369-379
What's On for Today and Why
King Lear exists in two distinct versions, a quarto edition from 1608 and the First Folio of 1623. Here, students will compare Lear's last speech in the two texts, evaluate the two different versions, and edit the speech themselves.
This lesson will take one class period.
King Lear Comparison Handout
What To Do
1. Distribute the attached handout, the text of Lear's last speech from the 1608 Quarto and the 1623 Folio editions of the play. Explain that the 1608 edition was titled The True Chronicle History of...King Lear while the 1623 edition was titled The Tragedy of King Lear, and that the two texts contain other differences as well.
2. Have students read the two speeches, noting any differences in word choice, punctuation, and speech attribution.
3. Discuss as a group which version your students prefer. Which is more consistent with Lear's speeches in the entire play? Which is more hopeful?
4. Have your students act out the speeches in the different styles suggested by the two different texts. See if they can identify different acting styles for the two pieces.
5. Have students create their own edition of the speech. They will need to consider whether they want to base their edition on one of the texts, or if they will use ideas from both.
6. Conclude with a discussion. How many different ways are there to edit this speech? What ambiguities in the text of the play remain?
How Did It Go?
Did students understand the significance of the differences between the two texts? Were they able to present those differences either by acting or by editing the passage in different ways? Did they begin to understand the difficulties involved in editing a Shakespeare text?
If you used this lesson, we would like to hear how it went and about any adaptations you made to suit the needs of YOUR students.
hifting to a new career altogether will appear as the best career option.. schuhe online kaufen
egtisham January 28, 2015 3:30 AM
they able to present those differences either by acting or by editing the passage. check it out
egtisham January 27, 2015 7:12 AM
they able to present those differences either by acting or by editing the passage.. jaipur car rental
peter January 27, 2015 5:23 AM
The group which was left alone obtained", yes divorce center
egtisham January 27, 2015 2:19 AM
what they want to do to act out the refrain. Practice once or twice...neuroflexyn
david January 26, 2015 4:13 AM
Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business.Pakistani news and updates...Going Here
peter January 26, 2015 12:49 AM
in the two texts, evaluate the two different versions, and edit the speech themselves.continue reading
jackman30 January 25, 2015 9:42 AM
the thoughst of shifting to a new career altogether will appear as the best career option. roll off containers
egtisham January 25, 2015 3:01 AM
Express, a play on the title of Wong Kar-wai’s film Chungking Express. In developing their architectural strategies, students started with his films and their own videos of their dense, bustling sites.création site ecommerce
Jack January 25, 2015 1:58 AM
the two texts, evaluate the two different versions, and edit the speech themselves.mortgage broker edmonton
jackman30 January 25, 2015 12:09 AM
Common Core State Standards
There are no standards associated with this Lesson Plan.
Note to Mozilla Firefox Users:
If the PDF documents are freezing, please try the following fix:
Go to Tools. Under Options click the Applications icon. Under Content Type, find Adobe Acrobat Document. Select Use Adobe Reader. If the option already says Use Adobe Reader, try changing the option to Use Adobe Acrobat.
Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader